This site is intended for healthcare professionals

Go to /sign-in page

You can view 5 more pages before signing in

Dangerous object ingestion

Last reviewed dd mmm yyyy. Last edited dd mmm yyyy

Authoring team

Mercury button batteries

If ingested button batteries may rupture in transit causing fatal poisoning and so the possibility of ingestion must be taken extremely seriously. Any patient who has swallowed such a toxic object, should be referred urgently for endoscopy.

Sharp objects

Most sharp objects, including open safety pins, will pass through the gut without harm. If there are indications that a sharp object is not passing through safely, refer the patient for endoscopy.

Related pages

Create an account to add page annotations

Add information to this page that would be handy to have on hand during a consultation, such as a web address or phone number. This information will always be displayed when you visit this page